When writing my sci-fi YA Fiction novel Mars Encounter I had the idea for the prequel stories. It is a collection of short stories set in the same universe but following different characters.
The Mars Encounter universe is set in contemporary times on Earth. A young man is let into a secret that humans are already living on Mars alongside the indigenous people. Britain, the USA, Russia, China and France all have military bases on Mars.
Mars Encounter: Prequel Stories is a collection of some of the short stories and ‘deleted scenes’ I wrote when I was producing Mars Encounter. Putting them together alongside a collection of essays I wrote for the launch of the main novel seemed like a fun way of offering something slightly different. The Mars Encounter: Prequel Stories are a free download and always will be. This makes it ideal for people new to my work to ‘give it a try’ before purchasing the main novel.
The short stories include:
- Daniel – A 13,000 word story about a young man forced to work for the US government to help exploit the native people of Mars. Daniel serves as an introduction to the Mars Encounter universe, it’s politics and it’s characters.
- The Briefing at The End of The Day – The Apollo 8 astronauts are called into a special ‘off the books’ meeting not long before their launch. There are reasons to believe they may encounter more then just the moon on their mission.
- Getting Help For A Child – What do you do when you’re on a top secret military base and someone needs specialist medical assistance? Especially when that someone is a child.
- Three Hours – We’ve all had to puller an all nighter in the hope of getting work done on time, but what if your life depended on it and you knew you were going to fail.
- Buying An Identity – If you knew a secret that the world’s governments didn’t want you to know then everything has a price, especially a new name.
- A Long Flight – Many people travel the world for their work, seeing hotel rooms more then they see their own homes. For many it’s trying to tell the world all about themselves and their business, for one man it’s all about trying to keep a secret.
- One Night In An Office – A specialist is called in to help brief someone about the secret of Mars, but is he ready for this mission.
Also included in Mars Encounter: Prequel Stories is a collection of essays about some of my favoured Sci-Fi. These include:
- War of the Worlds
- Blakes 7
- Red Dwarf